This morning was the big critique! I was given heaps of feedback about the work I had produced and have a better idea of the way in which I need to handle the space – white space is good. I still feel as though I have not quite yet got the layout working in a way I am happy with – I am battling with it. I am needing to go looking for some new slightly more controlled artist models to draw inspiration from.
To work on:
- Body text too large try 9pt
- The coloured texture makes the body text challenging to read – reconsider the placement and frequency of these
- Heading potentially too large – play around with the scale of it
- Turn hyphenation off
- The photograph looks a little too awkward, is it necessary to understanding the location/atmosphere
- Develop the icons
- Define a clear focal point of the spread
Things working well:
- The illustrations – given context to the kind of terrain of each location and the tools/function of the spaces
- Range of media
- The texture of the lines to communicate the types of art found in this location
During the lecture, I was given loads on inspiration as to how to work with my text and a refresher from last year as to how I am to utilise InDesign in order to more efficiently manage my text. In class, I was able to speak to Lee about the inspiration I wanted to draw from my artist models – bold handwritten titles, limited colour palette, minimal text. Ii was also able to speak to Mark about how better integrate the illustration and text, rather than just have one side of the spread for each – Maybe the text could be the most dominant feature and the text and imagery work to support it. I feel as though I am still battling with the imagery – I might break it down and attempt to handle it in portions of the page. For independent study, I will need to take this advice on and make my spreads more unique and engaging. I will need to have two spreads and an intro page ready for the critique on Monday morning.
Today we looked at our collages in order to finalise the illustrative portion of our location/ activity spreads. I feel as though mine are not yet resolved enough and require more work and research into the atmosphere of each location. We then began to integrate these into a spread format as either portrait or landscape. I chose portrait as I feel this will be a better platform in relation to my topic of street art. I have begun battling with the compulsory text for the introduction pages and sourcing text for my location/activity spreads. For independent study, I am needing to really put my head down and compose some collages for each location and begin working with the text on these spreads.
During class, we grouped up to critique the collages we completed for independent study alongside the one completed in class. The feedback I got for my set of three is that I need to clarify my overarching aesthetic and/or system to my collages; I need to start to work digitally to better ideate and make iterations of the collages. I was suggested the idea of including more about the function of each location to provide more context rather than purely the variation in art styles found in Wellington. For independent study, I researched further into the kind of styles of layout and type I wanted to work with to create a mood board for my following collages – of which I will start to do digitally.
During today’s class, we shared with our groups our findings from each location and chose one piece to work from in a selection of exercises that got us to loosen up our drawing and create a range of more emotive media to describe our locations. We then used these new drawings amongst our existing findings to create a collage describing one of our three locations. After completing this, as a class, we hung up our work and had a class critique in order to define the areas/works that were really communicating the emotive qualities of the location. For independent study, we were then asked to complete this collage task for the remaining two locations. I played around with overall aesthetic ideas and haven’t yet settled on one overarching system or look.
Today during class we critiqued our ideation matrixes in groups with the added input of our tutors. I confirmed by activity set/destination – Street art of Wellington. Within this, I will be focusing on the locations of Tuatara Brewery, Miramar Gun Emplacements and the Bus Stops of Te Aro. Next, I need to visit the three locations and collect visual media that is informed by the environment of each location. I will also look into existing print design that can inform the overall look of my pamphlet.
Today we got an introduction to the course and the Puna brief. We began the process of curating ideas of theme topics in class and understanding how to break it down into three ‘sub-destinations/activities’. For independent study, I have furthered this by completing four ‘Matrix forms’ provided to curate and a selection of theme ideas and ‘sub-destinations’ and begin to identify and classify the similarities and differences between these locations and/or activities.