Studio Class 5.2

30.03.2017

In class, again we were left to our own working. I was able to speak one on one to Lee about my pamphlet. She gave me heaps of pointers about what I was needing to do next.

Cover – The cover had a good base idea but should represent the 3 locations through some means – I will play around with having brush strokes taken from the frame of each of the location images and integrate them as an abstracted illustration of wiggling and weaving together. The spine edge of the cover doesn’t line up so will need to create a spread in either Illustrator or Photoshop in order to get it to line up perfectly.

Spreads – The first spread was printed with the wrong body text typeface and so will need to double chack this next time when printing it in the future, especially the final. On the right side of this spread the spacing between each of the categories vary and so these need to be kept at the same point difference which should also provide more room below for the map to spread across the bottom. Similarly, on the following spread, I need to format the tabs of the bullet point lists – I had forgotten to redo it after reapplying the text. This spread could also do with some light imagery. My location spreads were rather bland and so having a location added to the top of the page then allows for consistency across all locations (I had added the location address to only the last spread). I will also need to remove the border around the photo imagery as it makes the page to “bitty”. Adding a pull quote to the left-hand edge will create a better balance. Lastly, my walking illustrations require a higher contrast as they cannot be clearly seen when it has been printed.

For independent study, I will be editing all of this by finalising my map and placing it into my document. I need to figure out whether I will need a key for my map and if so, where I will be able to put the icon key instead – potentially the ‘Arts and Culture’ spread.

Studio Class 5.1

27.03.2017

During class, we were given time to put our heads down and get on with our work whilst our tutors came around to given feedback one on one. We were required to print out a mock up booklet in order to get a feeling to how the dynamic works in that form. After doing so it highlighted many areas that required some more work. I have not yet done a map and only completed 2/3 icons and have located them on the first spread – this might change later on. At this point, I had been working in an entirely monochromatic colour palette- for the independent study, I will play with alternative colours for the blocked background. I have begun playing with ideas for the cover of the pamphlet but have not yet refined how the paint scribbles will work.

For independent study, I continued working on completing the icons and battling with my illustrations. I have tried to simplify down the content on each spread and create a clear visual style that flows through the entirety of the pamphlet.

Studio Class 1.2

02.03.2017

Today during class we critiqued our ideation matrixes in groups with the added input of our tutors. I confirmed by activity set/destination – Street art of Wellington. Within this, I will be focusing on the locations of Tuatara Brewery, Miramar Gun Emplacements and the Bus Stops of Te Aro. Next, I need to visit the three locations and collect visual media that is informed by the environment of each location. I will also look into existing print design that can inform the overall look of my pamphlet.

Studio Class 1.1

27.02.2017

Today we got an introduction to the course and the Puna brief. We began the process of curating ideas of theme topics in class and understanding how to break it down into three ‘sub-destinations/activities’. For independent study, I have furthered this by completing four ‘Matrix forms’ provided to curate and a selection of theme ideas and ‘sub-destinations’ and begin to identify and classify the similarities and differences between these locations and/or activities.